Tuesday, April 23, 2013

And Then There Were Chickens...

Hey y'all!  

Let me introduce you to the girls:

Sally Field


















Jane Fonda




















Meg Ryan



















Blanca
 


As you can see, these ladies are all  fine specimens and certainly pristine examples of Gallus domesticus. They came to reside at Hidden Valley Ranch a few weeks ago. (I'll share more on this rural "slice of heaven" in a later posting.). The gals were feeling a bit timid about traveling, but they managed to survive the journey home in an adorable barn shaped cardboard box with little cut-out windows.  Truthfully, I wanted to hug the box.  

Chickens lead a lackluster life. They eat, sleep, and poop.  Kind of like a newborn baby, except with feathers and weird feet.    In an effort to fend off any self esteem issues in my girls,  I gave them all glamorous Hollywood names.  Well, except for the littlest one.  In a moment of sarcastic weakness, my younger daughter named the tiny chick Blanca.  I'm afraid we'll have to watch that one closely...  For I fear she will be teased relentlessly by her coup mates.

And so this fowl adventure has begun!  

I'll leave you with a snapshot of the ladies crowding the water cooler, sharing barnyard gossip:


Around the Water Cooler


2 comments:

  1. Boy, you are adventurous! Have you a chicken coop and yard yet? This should be fun. You'll have to keep us informed as the grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure wish I already had a coup! The kids and I have been talking about getting chickens ever since moving out to the country. Finally, I decided the best way to get farm fresh eggs was to go ahead and get some chicks. Lol! I figure the chicken coup will be built out of necessity once my "ladies" outgrow our galvanized brooder tin.

    ReplyDelete